After the other week’s success with vegan chocolate chip cookies, I was curious to see what else I could make taste like not shit. Seeing as how I bake an odd number of scones for a dude, I thought I’d give ’em a shot. I’ve been a fan of this scone base for years now (don’t judge me) as well as the combination of orange and chocolate, so after a little Google-fu and some tinkering, I came up with this recipe.
Again, I am shocked at the results. Unless someone told you that they’re vegan (and vegans will definitely tell you), you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference. They’re fluffy, chewy, crunchy, and would be a welcome addition to any breakfast table. Keep in mind, these aren’t exactly healthy—they use both coconut milk and oil to insert some much needed fat—but at least you have one less thing to feel guilty about.
INGREDIENTS (slightly modified from “The Miniature Moose“)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of two small to medium oranges (’bout a 1 and 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, sugar, salt and orange zest.
- Add the coconut oil. It’s going to be a big clump. Use your hands to work it into the flour mixture until it’s evenly distributed.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Stir in the coconut milk until just combined.
- Dump the mixture onto a lightly floured surface.
- Gentle fold about 5 or 6 times until the dough has a nice firm texture. Not to sticky. Not too dry. If it’s too sticky, add a tablespoon or two of flour and fold 1 or 2 more times.
- Cut dough in half and wrap each portion in plastic wrap. Chill for an hour or so.
- At some point, pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove fro refrigerator and shape into a disk about 1/2″ to 3/4″ in thickness.
- Cut into 8 pieces.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for about 13 – 16 minutes. They’re done with the tops are brown around the edges.
- Remove and let cool before serving.