While I may have stopped eating meat in August, I have refrained from making the leap into full-fledged vegandom because—and I’ve said this on more than one occasion—vegan baked goods are terrible. Forgoing the animal products is easy in everyday cooking, but damn near impossible when eggs and butter are called for in almost every recipe I’ve attempted. Almond milk and quinoa paste make pitiful substitutions.
However, and I am downright shocked, this particular recipe bucks the trend of pseudo food that my vegan friends insist “tastes just like the real thing!” Unless you told someone these are vegan, I’d be surprised if they could tell. Also, please keep in mind, just because they’re vegan, doesn’t mean they’re healthy—probably why they taste so good.
INGREDIENTS (moderately modified from Daily Rebecca)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated suger
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (high-end semi-sweet chocolate chips are usually vegan)
DIRECTIONS (makes about 12 – 15)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (you can use a hand mixer, I’m just lazy), cream together coconut oil, shortening, and sugars. The mixer will be runny. Be cool, man.
- Add the vanilla and coconut milk and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated. The dough will be a bit crumbly. Don’t you worry your pretty little head.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into balls (roughly the size of one used for golfing) and place them about 2 inches apart on your prepared baking sheet. Give ’em a nice squish.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 2 – 3 minutes until moving to a wire rack.
- Start researching vegan brownie recipes.