I don’t know what to write about these other than chai spice in a sugar cookie seems like a no brainer. These are straight up awesome. And, like the Chocolate Crinkle Cookies from the other week, these popped up on the ol’ Instagram feed as part of America’s Test Kitchen’s 25 Days of Cookies. However, by the time I got around to makin’ em, ATK had already put the recipe behind a paywall. Fortunately, the Internet being the Internet and all, Slate had published the recipe a few years back.
If you can buy drugs online and have them delivered to your house, it’s not that hard to find a cookie recipe. I mean, really.
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar, plus 1/3 cup for rolling
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS (makes 20 – 24 cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In separate bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, cloves, and black pepper.
- Add cream cheese and whisk until combined. Some cream cheese chunks will remain. That’s cool, man.
- Add the melted butter (microwave it for 30 seconds or so) and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add vegetable oil and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add egg, cream, and vanilla extract and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and, using a rubber spatula, mix/fold until you create a uniform dough.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of dough, gently roll into a ball (don’t go crazy), and then roll in remaining 1/3 sugar.
- Arrange 12 cookies on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Using the bottom of a drinking glass, give ’em a smoosh until they’re about 2 inches. Sprinkle with a bit more sugar because diabeetus.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes, rotating pan at the 7 minute mark.
- Remove from oven a transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Give ’em to a friend because it’s the holidays and everybody loves cookies!