First, the good news. My official taste tester (aka “mom”) said she wouldn’t know these were vegan unless I told her. That’s a HUGE endorsement for this attempt at placating the three or four people in my life who forgo anything that comes from an animal. Now, the bad. She quickly followed up with, “Go get me one of the other ones you made. Those are better.”*
She’s right. While they’re definitely tasty and your friends-who-still-care-about-things will be stoked if you bring ’em to breakfast, these just aren’t as good as the ones I usually make. Do with that info what you will. It’s you’re life, man. I’m just making muffins.
- 1 and 1/2 cups bran
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a 3 x 4 muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mix bran and coconut milk. Let set for 10 minutes.
- While your bran is soaking, whisk together flours, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add vegetable oil, apple sauce, vanilla, and brown sugar to bran mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Add flour mixture to the bran mixture and…uh…mix until just combined.
- Bake for 20 – 24 minutes muffins are firm to the touch.
- Allow to completely cool before removing from the tin. Because of the applesauce, these are incredibly most and will fall apart if you try to move ’em before their time.
- Use the hashtag #vegan on social media because those people will like anything.
*Yeah, I made bran muffins two days in a row. You didn’t?