Sure, sure, pride goeth before the fall and all that, but I’m giving myself a pat on the back for this particular culinary effort (Editor’s Note: Culinary is strong word for what are essentially meat cupcakes). I didn’t have a specific recipe to work from—Google is severely lacking with the whole “Cornbread muffin stuffed with pulled pork recipe” results—so, I really had no idea how these would turn out.
Fortunately, I will not being showing up to my friend’s Super Bowl party empty-handed, ’cause these things are pretty stellar. Surprisingly easy to make too.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 – 3/4 pound BBQ pulled pork*
*I used a variation of this recipe from The Bitten Word. You can always buy some too. Go with what makes you happy. Directions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a 3×4 muffin tin.
- In large mixing bowl, soak the corn meal in the skim milk for about 10 – 15 minutes. Does this do anything? I have no idea.
- Add the flour, sugars, salt, and baking powder to the cornmeal mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the egg and butter. Mix until—you guessed it!—thoroughly combined.
- Fill each muffin cup about 1/2 full with cornbread mixture.
- Take a ball of pulled pork (about 1 1/2 tbsp) and gently press into center of each cup. Don’t tell anyone you didn’t wear gloves.
- Use the remaining batter to cover the pulled pork.
- Cook for approximately 20 – 25 minutes.
- Bring ’em to your friend’s Super Bowl party and pretend you care about football when all you really want to watch are the commercials.